My Uncle

We had some beautiful clouds today. They made me think of Uncle Larry. Clouds always make me think of him!

When I first heard the news that he had passed, my heart sank. I didn’t believe it and I thought that this was a sick joke. After the initial shock, I got into plan mode, so it became more of a mission: Find a flight out, pack, get there, etc. It was easy to just get into this mode, because then I didn’t really have to feel anything. Then of course I was there and I cried a lot, but I also kept thinking that I couldn’t wait to get home, to be back in my own bed, to put this behind me. When I got home I fully expected to move on and not think about it anymore, but that never happened. I think about him everyday and wish that it had all been a bad dream. I think about the things he will miss and the emails I won’t get. We didn’t talk everyday, but we kept in touch with emails here and there.

He was the kind of guy who made everyone smile. He made me feel like I mattered to him and that "Uncle" wasn’t just a title. He was the king of music and margaritas. He was the best! I learned a lot from him. I remember watching him walk into a room and talk to people with such ease. I remember thinking that I wanted to be as smooth and cool as he always seemed to be. He never seemed afraid of anything, never shy and he always walked in with a smile. These might be memories from the perspective of a kid, but they’re memories that I will cherish. The biggest lesson I learned from my Uncle Larry is to always keep your smile.

I cling to the memories that I have. I remember the way he treated me and I remember what a great Uncle he was to me. I remember his jokes, his stories and emails. I am thankful to have had such an amazing Uncle, one who lived well, laughed often and loved much.

Here’s to you LD, you will always be in my heart!



After my visit to North Carolina, I came home to some of the most beautiful clouds California had ever seen. I took a picture and sent it to Larry as a joke. He LOVED it!!!

Popular Posts