Friday, December 3, 2010

Narnia.....1 Ticket please

I love to read. This wasn't always the case, but I really came into my own when I read, the now controversial book, Tom Sawyer on my own in the 5th grade. I immediately feel in love with the story and I couldn't wait to read about Huckleberry Finn, which I ended up liking more than Tom Sawyer. If you've read these classics, then you know that they can be a difficult read because Mark Twain didn't use proper grammar, he wrote the way people spoke. They were difficult reads, but I powered through them and these two books gave me an appetite for adventure books. I've read countless books about adventure and I've loved them all.

My love for reading wasn't just regulated to adventure books, but classics as well. My mom was sure to satisfy my appetite for books and she made sure I had a ready supply to choose from. So one day, while I was looking through our library (which we built - literally - I still remember my dad cutting the wood and everything) I came across a book called The Voyage of Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis. At the time, I had no idea what it was about or who C.S. Lewis was, but the name captured my attention. I showed it to my mom, who introduced me to the series. She suggested that I start with the first one, The Magician's Nephew*. Needless to say, I fell in love with the story, reading each book as soon as I could.........My point?....Ahhh, yes. I decided recently to re-read the books and I am so excited for the new Narnia movie to come out.

Which leads me to my next point. My Christmas movie shout out is for The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I love the book and the movie. I feel a special connection to the four kids because it makes me think of my brothers Kevin and Patrick and my sister Katie. It reminds me of my childhood and how the four of us did so many things together.

My Christmas shout out goes to my brother Kevin; the North. I hope he knows what he means to me and that I love he very much. Thank you for always being there for me and for offering such good advice. Thank you for being someone I can look up to and for being a friend. Words can never express my admiration and appreciation for you.


*People argue all the time - at least Lewis fans - about what order to read The Chronicles of Narnia. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was published first but The Magician's Nephew is chronologically the first. My opinion.... who cares! Just read the set.