Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lifesaver

This Christmas Shout it is to someone who has saved my life on countless occasions and who has become a family friend throughout the years, my pediatrician, Dr. S.

Like I've said before, I was a very sick child. I had asthma and if one of my siblings got sick, it went directly to my lungs giving me some awful cold or flu, in which I would end up in the hospital. Many times my mom would have to take me into the emergency room at one or two o'clock in the morning, at which point, I would be admitted for at least a week. I was in the hospital so much that the nurses on the peds floor knew my family and I by name. In fact, a few years ago, a woman approached me in target and asked me how my parents were. She told me that she had been one of my nurses and she had come to know my family well.

I became so comfortable with Dr. S that when anything would go wrong - even simple things like a broken bone - I would just call him instead of going into the emergency room. Every single time, he has been there for me!

Last year, I started to get very sick and my ears had been hurting. I thought that I had an ear infection, so I tried to get in to see my doctor. I couldn't get in for another week, so when a fever of 103 popped up, my sister took me into the emergency room. They told me that I had a cold, no ear infections and that I would be fine in a few days. A few days later, I was getting worse. My ears were hurting so bad that I literally could not move. I had never had pain like this before in my life, I was literally in tears, I thought that if I didn't get this taken care of that I'd lose my hearing, I had to do something. I called Dr. S and headed in to his office. Dr. S came into the office just to see me and as I waited in the lobby, coughing my lungs up with tears streaming down my face, he came into the room and said "I would know that cough anywhere." A few tests and an x-ray later, it was determined that I had two severe ear infections, strep throat and bronchitis and he did me a solid by giving me medicine that numbed the pain in the ears.

I was blessed to have Dr. S in my life. He saved it so many times and, to this day, if I needed him, he would answer the call. What a wonderful man and a wonderful doctor. So here's to you, Thank you for all that you have done for me throughout my life. Merry Christmas!!!!.